Registered Nurse - Endoscopy
NJ - Elizabeth (07202)
The Endoscopy Lab has three procedural rooms dedicated to providing procedural services. As a Registered Nurse in the Endoscopy unit, you are expected to implement the nursing process (including use of nursing diagnosis), document nursing activities and intervention plan, as well as medication administered. The R.N. provides leadership and supervises the care, maintenance and activities of the Endoscopy suites.
Core competencies include: Assisting physicians with Endo and Bronchoscopy procedures, Admitting patients, monitoring patients post procedure,
- Assesses patients (inpatient and outpatient) with a focus on pre-procedure physiological indications and coping.
- Performs pre/post procedure patient education with a focus on post procedure discharge care.
- Monitors the patient receiving conscious sedation.
- Anticipates patient’s response during procedure and implements appropriate interventions.
- Prepares, handles and labels specimens according to protocols.
- Assembles Endoscopy video system with accuracy.
- Demonstrates competencies in instruments/equipment management for procedures.
- Performs post-procedure leak test before cleaning scopes.
- Demonstrates competency with sterilization system for cleansing/disinfection.
- Labels the sterilized scope and stores.
- Participates in after-care of room to promote faster turnaround times.
- Observes the patient, making eye contact, and speaking clearly when giving verbal instruction pre-op, or post-op.
- Provides a comforting and therapeutic atmosphere for the young/mature adult, paying special attention to maintaining modesty and providing for self-control in decision-making.
- Communicates clearly and slowly with the elderly client, assuring understanding of instructions; orientation to environment and reporting of alterations in the same.
- Provides for modesty in the care of all patients.
- Employs safety measures during procedure including proper positioning and use of protective devices, i.e. safety straps.
- Utilizes appropriate employee and patient safety equipment when assisting physician with laser and electrocautery.
- Maintains ACLS Certification
Current New Jersey Professional Nurse License; Ability to perform all competencies of the position is required for employment in the position.